Deeds (Instruments of Conveyance)

Legal instruments such as warranty deeds, quit claim deeds, etc., that convey title from one property owner to a new owner, are usually drafted by attorneys, or paralegals or legal secretaries under the supervision of an attorney.

The forms used for various types of deeds are available at many office supply businesses, but call first to make certain they still carry the forms since some no longer do so. Here is a link to deed forms. You can read our document definitions for deeds, or contact your attorney to determine the appropriate type of deed for your situation. The entire document must be legible and the ink is black, blue, or red, except that signatures may be other colors.

The grantor and grantee (seller and buyer) must be identified on the deed. The grantor’s signature which has been notarized, and a legal description of the property being conveyed must be on the deed. The return address of the person who is to receive the deed after it has been recorded is required. The parcel identification number, found on the property tax bill, must be placed on the document under the return address. Only the original deed with original signatures may be recorded with the Register of Deeds - not photocopies.

The moment that a correctly prepared deed is handed from one owner to the next is the moment of actual conveyance. It is wise to protect your interest by recording the deed with the Register of Deeds at 421 Nebraska St, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235. The recording fee is $30.00 per document regardless of the number of pages.

A Wisconsin Electronic Real Estate Transfer Return receipt must be printed out and accompany a deed to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds. You can file your Electronic Real Estate Transfer Return (RETR) online by going to the Department of Revenue Website: The Transfer Return must be filled out entirely, the fee to be paid (if any) plus the recording fee must accompany the deed when you mail it in or bring it in for recording. Instructions for the Wisconsin Electronic Real Estate Transfer Return are available online.

If you have any questions regarding filling out the deed form, contact your attorney.